Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Large Haldron Collider

Well they're firing this thing up tomorrow.

Large Hadron Collider.

So, Kiss the World Goodbye! haha Just kidding.

I think it's cool as hell. I'll be the first to admit I'm generally pretty lost when it comes to anything to do with physics or astronomy, once you move out of the realm of red, yellow, blue or white stars. I've been slowly working my way through

and thanks to Bryson, I have begun to understand some aspects more clearly. Still I'd most certainly fail a high school physics test, even if you left out the formulas.

That doesn't stop me from being completely in awe of space in a way I can't quite put into words. There is a reason that god and "heaven" are so oftentimes believed to be in the stars. I also believe that the answers to the biggest gaps in what we know about the universe will come once we find a way to conquer the dimension of time. Maybe this is how they will find those answers. It is plausible they will replicate a "Big Bang" and come up with a clearer understanding of how the universe began. (Hopefully before Palin starts teaching "creation science" in schools, supported by people who can't understand that all science is theory, which is not the same as religion.) (Oops political sidetrack there.)

To quote my ex, the physicist, "these researchers are like priests in the science. And we are just bunch of sinners trying to do some laser imaging."

I just hope that whatever they find out, they put it in terms I can understand. Maybe Bill Bryson can explain it.

No comments: